Job Title: Head of SHEQ
Salary: £55 plus £5k Car Allowance
Job Type: Full Time, Perm
Our client is a dynamic, delivery-focussed project management company providing end to end solutions for the UK’s mobile and fixed line network operators.
Due to continued growth and expansion, they are currently looking to recruit a Head of SHEQ to be based at their office in Cambridge. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team and setting the Health, Safety & Environmental policies for mobile telecoms roll outs throughout the business.
To successfully design, deliver and maintain a Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) change programme to embed and drive a positive culture throughout the business as well as ensuring the effective delivery of associated management strategies / action plans to exceed client expectations and prevent accidents, injuries, and work-related illness in the workplace. Be responsible for providing Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality professional leadership to our people operating within the business, supporting and advising all management teams, employees, and sub-contractors.
- Ensure a framework is in place that promotes and encourages an organisational culture that champions an incident free environment ‘Zero Harm’.
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new, and upcoming safety, health and environmental legislation and ensure that the business / division has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance.
- Implement, maintain, and further develop the business management system and processes which improve safety, health, environmental and quality performance. Determine and close out any gaps in documentation, competence and systems.
- Create and maintain the business and contract risk register(s).
- Develop annual SHEQ ‘Targets and Objectives’ to ensure continual improvement.
- Lead in external audits / verification of company accreditations.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives to maintain the highest levels of safe working practices, raise SHEQ awareness and ensure the highest quality of all delivered products and services.
- Work proactively and collaboratively with the leadership team, managers, and other key personnel to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of SHEQ related matters.
- Provide the necessary support, advice and guidance to maintain CDM compliance.
- Effective management and responsibility of HSE Co-Ordinator, Quality and Assurance Managers and Contracts Manager.
- Effective management and maintenance of ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO45001 accredited management system.
- Ensure that risk assessment and incident management compliance are adopted and enforced.
- Monitor SHEQ performance and communicate to leadership team and managers with recommended actions.
- Engage with wider division as appropriate to ensure delivery of relevant objectives.
- Lead client related SHEQ improvement initiatives on behalf of the business.
- Embed the use of mobile applications to improve SHEQ performance and mitigate risk.
- Ensure compliance against fully accredited workforce matrixes.
- Ensure all personnel (direct and sub-contract) adhere to the necessary induction / onboarding protocol.
- Ensure effective management of Occupational Road Risk and compliance with our Operator licenses throughout all operational areas.
- Ensure incident investigations are to an exemplary standard and act as lead investigator were required.
- Work closely with sub-contractors to identify where support is required, take appropriate action and improve compliance.
- Work closely with the central supplier on-boarding team to ensure SHEQ evaluations progress smoothly and efficiently.
- Prepare and submit both internal and client statistical reports.
- Track on-going SHEQ actions in line with Group strategy.
- Analyse and monitor data to determine SHEQ trends and determine appropriate mitigating actions.
- Prepare monthly reports at business and group level and present at board meetings.
- Develop and maintain (direct and sub-contractor) an operational assurance audit programme (active and re-active monitoring) and ensure an action plan with SMART objectives is established to address issues identified.
- Understand and monitor SHEQ costs for training, PPE and further development. Monitor and report spend to Programme Directors, escalating issues that falls outside of budget.
- Manage the forecast of client accreditation demands against budget
- Support project teams in gathering cost analysis data on time lost, Injury days lost, stand down costs and other associated costs incurred as a direct result of SHEQ.
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all aspects of safety, health, environmental and quality risk management.
- Strong grasp of recognised best practice, risk management techniques and management principles.
- A comprehensive knowledge of current safety, health and environmental legislation, management, and standards.
- An effective leader with highly developed skills regarding stakeholder engagement and experience of liaison and influence at all levels.
- Ability to interpret and provide authoritative advice on safety, health, environmental and quality risk management issues.
- Proven, demonstrable experience in a similar senior role, ideally gained in a related industry
- Understanding of IS9001, ISO45001 and ISO14001.
- Proven track experience of SSIPs, audits and external accreditations.
- Understanding of CDM, construction and Utilities
- Recent proven experience of working as a SHEQ lead at a similar level and bringing about cultural change within an organisation
- Line management and people management training
- Site audit and inspection experience
- NEBOSH Construction Diploma (or equivalent)
- Chartered membership of IOSH (CMIOSH) or working towards – Minimum of GradIOSH
- Experience of maintaining or reaching externally audited management standards including ISO 9001, OHSAS18001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 along with but not limited to Achilles, Chas, NICEIC, Safe Contractor etc.
- Asbestos Awareness
- Fire Stopping Awareness and Compartmentation
- Formal incident investigation training
- Lead auditor accreditation or equivalent in ISO standards
- P402 surveying and sampling strategies for asbestos in buildings
- NEBOSH Fire Prevention and Risk Management Certificate
- Environmental qualification