Job Title: Build Manager (Fibre)
Salary: Up to £55,000 pa
Job Type: Full Time, Perm
Through the Smart Technology Division, our client aims to deliver the best full Fibre City Build Project solutions, through efficiently, responsibility and utilising and integrating smart technology to deliver the best FTTH Broadband Network.
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Build Manager will be responsible for managing and coordinating teams of both directly employed and subcontract labour and staff. The Build Manager will be accountable for the whole network build cycle from accepting work packages from a client to submitting as build packages back. The Build Manager will ensure that operational and financial targets and deadlines are met and that the general works and the scheme works are implements in accordance with the contract requirements. This is to be achieved in close collaboration with a Senior QS and a Project Planner.
- To ensure all clients’ needs are met whilst ensuring all operational aspects of the contract are successfully managed
- Responsible for implementation and management of sound and operational practices
- Responsible for works associated with compliance to company obligations relating to Health & Safety and Environment, Quality Assurance and IIP (Investors in people)
- Understand and be able to meet deadlines for submission of reports required in the Construction Phase Plan
- Responsible for development of all field operational staff
- Liaising with Clients and ensuring their satisfaction
- Assist with development and growth of contract
- To ensure safe working practices, as outlined in Specific Method Statements and Risk Assessments are adhered to both personally and by others
- To assist emergency situations as required by the company / contract procedures and obligations
- To ensure compliance with Health & Safety, Quality and Environmental Policies and Procedures
- Responsible for the safe running of (allocated) sites and monitor the implementation and control of safe working procedures.
- Own relationship with subcontractors and assist the Project Manager with the selection of new subcontractors as required.
- Ensure that the programme is up to date at all times and deliverable by civils and fibre supervisors
- Ensure that all the relevant EWNs and CEs are captured appropriately and dealt with
- Use every opportunity to increase the regional revenue/margin.
- Follow the process built into the high-level programme to ensure that work package handover dates are achieved
- Assign work packages to supervisors and ensure that the process is followed from initial instructions and walk off to the final sign off of the work package with the client
- Ensure that the Collaborative Planning room is well presented in line with the latest instructions and up to date daily
- Issue weekly updates to client via reports as per contractual requirements
- Ensure that supervisors are following as-build process and issuing electronic updates on the works progress
- Ensure that field works are recorded through the client’s monitoring software and complete regular weekly checks of the data being populated
- Oversee supervisors conducting a twice weekly build progress and future build meeting with sub-contractor supervisors.
- To regularly monitor build progress and future build
- Hold weekly supervisor meeting to make sure supervisor are up to date with inductions, sub-contractor training, WIS forms and HSE-07 on staff working on their builds
- Ensure that inductions of subcontractors and regular inspections are in place from both internal and subcontractors’ staff
- Complete regular site visits to assure supervisors’ work (c.30% of time)
- Complete a joint snagging walkout programme to run in line with contract completion dates set-in high-level programme. (Power BI)
- Work with administrator and central compliance team, ensuring that all field staff, including subcontractors are compliant with the training requirement i.e. training is ether already completed or booked for a future date in line with the clients and internal training matrices
- Work with PM, HSEQ, supervisors and sub-contractor to reduce incidents, utility strikes. Ensure that investigations are carried out in time specified.
- Work with the Supervisor to purchase or hire the most suitable vehicles, plant and materials so that the works progress effectively and economically.
- Minimising costs of works through correct programming and utilisation of labour, plant, materials and subcontractors.
- Identify variations to the contract through work records and site measurements.
- Providing input into the weekly programme
- Ensuring that all work is carried out in accordance with the contract plan, client’s specifications and procedures, with risk assessments and method statements
- Checking drawings, site instructions works orders and contract documents and reporting any anomalies or lack of information to the Project Manager and the client
- Monitor the standard of work of all employees and subcontractors
- Taking-off materials for procurement in accordance with the Contract Programme. (Extract information from BoM’s)
- Ensure that all registers for scaffolds, excavations, ladders, plant, lifting tackle and the operator’s licence are correctly kept
- Ensure that the supervisors input the labour, plant and material castings onto the computerised works management system daily
- Ensure that depots/sites are maintained to standards in accordance with Waste Management Licences, Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental Regulations and Leases arrangements
- Ensure that all staff and the labour force are fully productive
- Ensure that all staff and the labour force are treated fairly and kept motivated
- Have a good working knowledge of the Construction Phase PlanSite Management Plan and the company’s procedures
- Through liaison with the Support staff from head office
Required Qualifications / Expertise:
- NVQ or HNC
- City & Guilds
- Excellent time management skills
- 10 years highways maintenance or site experience
- Computer literacy
- Good standard of English
- FTTP/FTTH/FTTX experience preferred